Nyf2InnoKB Database Converter
The Nyf2InnoKB is a database converter which helps convert myBase .nyf files into InnoKB 2.x compatible databases.
To run this utility, you'll need a PC running Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista, with appropriate IFilters installed precedingly for parsing and indexing documents.
How To Use
To convert a .nyf file into InnoKB database, please follow this,
- Run this utility (nyfconn.exe) on Windows;
- Select a source .nyf file to convert;
- Determine the target database ID for InnoKB; The ID will be used to create a sub folder which can be then moved into InnoKB repository folder;
- Press [Convert] button to start converting;
- Move the sub folder (named with the given ID) into InnoKB database repository folder;
- Restart InnoKB server to load databases including the new ones from within the repository folder;
- If the .nyf file was password protected, remove its password first before converting;
- It's recommended to use ANSI characters in any InnoKB database IDs, which will go into URLs encoded in UTF-8;
- InnoKB database ID can also be renamed by renaming the DB directory. Before doing so, be sure to stop/suspend InnoKB service at first;
- Before converting, please be sure to remove any existing sub folders named with the same ID. Or you may want to choose a different database ID;
How It Works
This utility converts the following parts from within myBase .nyf files into InnoKB;
- Any tree items containing notes or attachments create corresponding target info items within InnoKB; Note that:
- The default RTF note goes into the content of the target info item, but without formatting data, only text extracted;
- If no RTF notes in a tree item, the first HTML document (if any) goes into the content of the target info item;
- Any additional attachments are retained as attachments of the target info item;
- Any tree items having child items create corresponding label items in the original tree structure;
Child items will be automatically labelled with their labels, i.e. folders where they originally reside;
- Custom labels (namely: categories, tags) are copied into InnoKB as labels without any changes;
- Custom icons (namely: categories by glyphs) are converted into labels, the associated items are labelled accordingly;
- Symbolic links (namely: virtual nodes) are treated as labels, and the target items of the symlinks are labelled accordingly;
- Item links (namely: related items) are copied into InnoKB as they were;
- Index data file is also generated during the conversion and ready to use for InnoKB server;
This utility also creates index data files (__db_index.dat) while converting .nyf databases, which are compatible with InnoKB 2.x.
Like InnoKB server, this utility parses those familiar documents (.html, .rtf, .doc, .xls, .ppt, etc.) by using either Windows IFilter or the inbuilt filters;
For additional documents, you'd need to install the appropriate third-party filters.
For example, you'd install PDF IFilter for parsing .PDF documents
Note that filters for .html, .rtf, .doc, .xls, .ppt, etc. are inbuilt and ready to use on Windows 2000+; You'd only need to install additional filters for .pdf, .jpg, .mp3, etc. if your .nyf databases contain any of them that you'd like to search immediately when the conversion was done.
If you don't want to install any filters on the machine running the converter, you may then choose to update the index data from within InnoKB adminstrative control panel.
Make sure that there're the appropriate filters installed on the machine running InnoKB server.