myBase - A Unique Freeform Database Software
myBase is a unique free-form database software that allows entry of unstructured text, webpages,
images, documents, emails and even arbitrary files without regard to length or format.
All information is automatically compressed and stored
in the tree structured outline form. Unlike traditional database programs, myBase accepts text input like
a word processor, and provides better methods for capturing, editing, organizing, retrieving, searching and sharing information.
With myBase, you can:
- Save all your information in one place and get organized with ease;
- Create personal or corporate full-text searchable knowledgebase or research databases containing text, graphics, webpages, documents, and even binary files;
- Save and organize a large and growing collection of notes and documents in one place;
- Keep notes in the hierarchical structure and keep notes securely in local file system;
- Manage product/project/customer information in an intuitive way;
- Write books in the tree outline form much more efficiently than a standard Word Processor;
- And more ...
To run myBase Desktop v7.x, you will need a PC (or Tablet PC) running
Mac OS X, or
For GNU/Linux, extract the downloaded package into your home directory, then it's almost done.
Generally you can do it by running the commands in Terminal like this:
- $ cd ~
- $ tar -xjvf myBase-Desktop-Ver700b26-Linux.tar.bz2
- $ cd ./myBase7
- $ ./myBase.run &
For the convenience of starting myBase without typing the command in Terminal, you may want to create a launcher icon on your X11 desktop.
Note that with different distributions of GNU/Linux, you may need to manually install additional packages to resolve the shared library
dependencies. To check the library dependencies for myBase 7.x, open a Terminal window, change to the program's directory, and run the command 'ldd myBase'.
For Mac OS X, open the downloaded .dmg package file, then drag the myBase icon and drop it into the system's Applications folder,
whereby you can double click on the program's icon to start it.
For Windows, run the downloaded setup program and follow the instructions to finish the software installation;
You'll need to select the target directory and program group name during installation.
For GNU/Linux, simply delete the program's directory.
For Mac OS X, trash the program icon from the system's Applications folder.
For Windows, select the [Uninstall myBase Desktop 7] menu item from the Start menu, and press the "Yes" button to proceed.
Note that you may want to first create backups for your own .nyf database files before uninstalling the software.
Logical Structure of myBase .nyf Databases
The hierarchy chart below tries to illustrate how information is structured and saved
within myBase. It allows unlimited level of nested info items within each sub trees.
File system (on hard disk)
+--myBase databases (*.nyf files)
+--Info items (hierarchical outline, tree structured)
+--Virtual items (referring to other real info items)
+--Real items (containing actual data)
+--Default HTML content (*.html)
+--Shortcuts (linking to external files)
+--Arbitrary files (*.exe/bin/dat/etc.)
+--Related items (linking with other items)
+--Applied labels (tags, categories)
+--Associated calendar date
+--Label items (tree structured, unlimited)
+--Label 1 (labelled info items...)
+--Label 2 (labelled info items...)
+--Label 3 (labelled info items...)
+--Custom icons (linking with info items)
+--Calendar (linking with info items)
+--Bookmarks (linking with info items)
myBase Desktop is a feature-rich and powerful knowledge management software for storing and managing
a large number of unstructured information, such as webpages, images, documents, spreadsheets, presentations
and any kind of arbitrary files.
Below is a simple list of key features that the current version provides.
- Intuitive and uncluttered user interface
- Organizing info items in the tree-structured outline form
- Categorizing info items with hierarchical labels
- UNICODE (UTF-8) support for multilingual content
- Fast load speed, fast access, with low RAM requirements
- Large file support ( > 2GB )
- Data compression ( powered by Zlib )
- Optimization for file size
- Attachments support
- HTML formatting and editing
- Markdown support
- Code blocks with syntax highlighting support
- Recycle bin and revision history
- Undeletion of info items and attachments
- Revision history of HTML contents
- Webpage/snippets capturing and saving
- Item links, hyperlinks, symbolic links and file shortcuts
- Customizable icons for individual info items
- Customizable relative path vailables for local file links
- Auto-save and auto-backup
- Print and preview
- Boolean searches, RegExp searches, Searching as you type & Searching in results
- HTML tree generator
- ePub/CHM e-book maker
- MS-Word outline generator
- Mindmap spider-like diagram generator
- Importing data from a variety of sources
- Exporting data in a variety of file formats
- And more ...
myBase Desktop provides tens of inbuilt plugin utilities some of which are listed below:
- Capture -> Import directory tree as hyperlinks or attachments
- Capture -> Import files as child items, Text to notes, else to attachemts, each file creates a child item
- Capture -> Import Mind Map items
- Capture -> Import OPML items
- Capture -> Import text file by a delimiter, each division creates a child item
- Capture -> Import journal template
- Capture -> Import info items from within another .nyf database
- Capture -> Import MS Word documents as child items (Windows only)
- Capture -> Import MS Outlook items (Windows only)
- Capture -> Import selected items from within MS Outlook (Windows only)
- Share -> Export info items and map as a disk directory tree
- Share -> Export all files to a specified directory
- Share -> Export text notes to a file with a text line delimiter
- Share -> Export data records to MS Excel
- Share -> Export text contents as HTML documents
- Share -> Export text contents with indentation
- Share -> Export text contents without formatting
- Share -> Export MS Word outline (Windows only)
- Share -> Export HTML Tree
- Share -> Export Spider-like Diagrams (mindmap)
- Share -> Export .mmap documents
- Share -> Export .opml documents
- Share -> Export .epub digital books
- Share -> Export CHM projects
- Share -> Export info items to another .nyf database
- Edit -> Insert -> Insert table
- Edit -> Insert -> Insert picture from file
- Edit -> Insert -> Insert text from file
- Edit -> Insert -> Insert quick text
- Edit -> Insert -> Insert file/folder hyperlinks
- Edit -> Insert -> Insert code block (syntax highlighting for 100+ languages supported)
- Edit -> Insert -> Insert hyperlinks
- Edit -> Text utilties -> Sort selected text lines by alphabet
- Edit -> Text utilties -> Remove unwanted Returns/Spaces
- Edit -> Text utilties -> Make selection uppercase/lowercase
- Edit -> Text utilties -> Make selected text into table
- Edit -> Text utilties -> Edit selected text fields within a fillable form
- Edit -> Edit HTML source code
- Edit -> Revision history
- Search -> Items for today
- Search -> Items for today
- Search -> List all related items
- Search -> List attachments or shortcuts
- Search -> List recently modified entries
- Search -> Search local file system
- Search -> Search by custom icons
- Search -> Custom search scope
- Tools -> Calculate expression or js code
- Tools -> Word count
- Tools -> Compare folders
- Tools -> Detect text encoding
- Tools -> View file in hexadecimal
- And more ...
How It Helps
If you have any of these kinds of problems with getting things done, myBase can help.
- How can I organize a large and growing collection of notes, images and documents in my research work?
- How can I manage random bits of personal information in my own way?
- How can I capture webpages including original URLs and get the collections well-organized with ease?
- How can I create a personal or corporate full-text searchable knowledge base effortlessly?
- How can I write a book in the tree outline form more efficiently than a standard word processor?
- How can I publish information in the HTML tree form on the web, or make ePub/CHM digital books with ease?
- How can I build a full-text searchable database containing a large number of unstructured information/materials such as images, webpages, documents and even arbitrary files?
myBase, a 'swiss-army-knife' database program, does these things well and can help a lot.
With myBase, creating your own full-text searchable databases and getting organized has never been easier. No programming skills are required.
[ Download ]
What You Get
With myBase and a modest set of plugins and addon programs, you get:
- Knowledge Base Software
- Research Database Software
- Notes Manager
- Project Management Tool
- Customer Data Management Tool
- Personal Information Organizer (PIM)
- Mind/Notes Manager
- Book Writing Tool
- To-Do List
- Address Book
- Diary Keeper
- Documentation Tool
- Presentation Tool
- Outlining Tool
- HTML Tree Maker
- Webpage Capturing Tool
- Photo Album
- URL Organizer
- File Organizer
- HTML Editor
- CD-ROM/USB-Drive Offline Indexing Tool
- Mindmap Spider-like Diagram Maker
- ePub Digital Book Maker
- CHM Digital Book Maker (Windows only)
- MS-Word Outline Maker (Windows only)
- MS-Outlook Email Archiver (Windows only)
- and more ...
All this are in a footprint of about 50MB on your hard disk.
Plugin API & Development
myBase Desktop 7.x is built with the Qt Framework
and the Structured Storage Library
The plugin API is currently open to the public domain. For detailed info about plugin development,
please go here